Cistercians in Yorkshire
This project created a freely available web-based learning package exploring the history and architecture of the Cistercian order in Britain, particular looking at five Cistercian Abbeys in Yorkshire.
New Opportunities Fund
University of Sheffield
3D interactive, British Isles, heritage, material culture, online resource
3D modelling, CSS, HTML
The Cistercians in Yorkshire Project created a freely available web-based learning package exploring the history and architecture the Cistercian order in Britain in general and of five Cistercian Abbeys in Yorkshire: Fountains, Rievaulx, Byland, Roche and Kirkstall in particular.
Central to this learning package are three dimensional reconstructions of the five abbeys and their outbuildings. These are accompanied by texts explaining the history and importance of the Cistercian order and their abbeys.
Duration: 2001 – 2003
- Prof. Sarah Foot (Project Director – Dept of History, University of Sheffield)
- Nigel Williamson (Project Manager – Humanities Research Institute)
- Dr Julie Kerr (Postdoctoral Research Assistant – Humanities Research Institute)
- Carl Smith (Developer, 3D Visualisation – Humanities Research Institute)
- Mr Stuart Harrision (Archaeological Consultant, Ryedale Archaeological Services)